.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

Birds of a feather

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Don't ya just love it when you stumble upon two items on the internet from two different sources the same day that unintentionally allign perfectly?

The phrase "whisper campaign" is not in frequent rotation in my vocabulary. While I may have read it somewhere sometime, I never thought about it much until today, when I came across it twice during my morning perusal.

Josh Marshall starts things off with a post referring to an Atlantic Monthly article about Karl Rove's history of using this sleaziest of sleazy political manipulations.
So now we get some details about how the Rove treatment works -- and not just speculation, but with descriptions from former Rove staffers who helped organize some of his trademark whispering campaigns.

An article out this week in The Atlantic Monthly focuses specifically on a series of races Rove ran in Texas and Alabama in the 1990s.

The Alabama races in particular haven't gotten that much national press attention in the past. And one of the most lizardly passages in the article describes how Rove launched a whispering campaign against one Democratic opponent suggesting that the candidate -- a sitting Alabama state Supreme Court Justice, who had long worked on child welfare issues -- was in fact a pedophile ...

Then, a friend forwarded me a September 16th article, by Mary Jacoby in Salon, in which one of George W. Bush's professors at the Harvard School of Business reflects having had Junior Bush in his class.
Students who challenged and embarrassed Bush in class would then become the subject of a whispering campaign by him, Tsurumi said. "In class, he couldn't challenge them. But after class, he sometimes came up to me in the hallway and started bad-mouthing those students who had challenged him. He would complain that someone was drinking too much. It was innuendo and lies. So that's how I knew, behind his smile and his smirk, that he was a very insecure, cunning and vengeful guy."

These are dark days indeed, when people like this are running things. As the polls show the race for the White House essentially tied, it becomes more and more surreal, harder and harder to understand how all this is going on relatively unchecked by the American people. The latest thought that has me banging my head against the nearest available brick wall comes when contemplating the folks who say that they just can't make up their minds about who to vote for. It's hard enough to understand how anyone could see GW as worthy. For these folks I have pretty much decided that they are beyond reach. But how can anyone be on the fence?

Editorial Note: My apologies for linking to two sites in one post that require, not simply registration, but paid subscription. Quoting the salient passages at least gives me a coherent post, but I would, of course prefer that you could easily get to the content I refer to with more ease. Personally, I'm not subscribed to either, though I have been considering Salon for some time. I loved Salon when it was free, and I have not found any site that offers close to the quality and selection of content without charging a subscription fee. Believe me, I've looked.