.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

My thoughts, exactly?

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

July 7, 2004, I posted a rather mean comment to a jekyll post trashing an entire decade of pop music - the 80's.
Ugh. Sorry, but I had all I can take of Flock of Seagulls/Tears For Fears/The Cure, etc., when I was in high school. My heart was drawn to The Who and The Rolling Stones, but I pretended to like 80's pop music so I could look to all the girls at the parties like I was a fun guy.

Excuse me, but I think I'm going to be sick.

I felt bad for slamming my t-floss colleague. I really did. Of course I didn't delete the comment, but I felt bad.

Rolling Stone is currently running an interview with Elvis Costello.

Are you a man of impulse?

I'm terrifically impulsive, but I see things through. I'm very patient. Maybe I have a misplaced belief in my own immortality. I believe I can wait out any fashion. I waited out the whole Eighties. Those fuckers all went away eventually, with their stupid haircuts and synthesizers.
I felt entirely vindicated. After all, this was Elvis Costello. His music credentials are unparalleled, having covered everything from punk to rockabilly to country to classical.

Just look at where he grew up:
Between five and sixteen, I lived in Twickenham [in London]. The Rolling Stones were playing nearby, at the Station Hotel in Richmond. The Who were at Eel Pie Island. The Yardbirds lived in the next street. They had a van with YARDBIRDS written on it. I'd see [Fleetwood Mac guitarist] Peter Green in this record shop I used to go to - looking like Jesus in his rugby shirt and long hair.
Within seconds of reading that I had an immature 'I told you so' post composed in my head. I salivated at the thought of bragging about my superior taste in music. I reached for my copy of The Who's Tommy for what would be the soundtrack for my moment of glory. I felt great...

...until I read on.
I was living in rock & roll central, although I didn't think so at the time. I was into American stuff and the Beatles. I never paid attention to the Who after I Can See for Miles. I've never heard Tommy. I don't own a copy of Who's Next. I don't own any Led Zeppelin records.

Gulp.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home