.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

God help us

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Last evening on NPR I heard a report on a group of Evangelical Christians who gather to pray for our country, for our politicians, in the hope that God's will be done. They state clearly that they are actively praying for a victory for GW, but that they will pray just as much for Kerry if he wins.

Ok.

Then, a pastor speaks and says something to the effect of: The only way for us to ensure that God shines favorably on America is if we are upholding His word. We must do everything we can to protect the unborn and the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman. If we do this, we don't have to worry about the economy, about the environment, about the war in Iraq, because God will take care of us.

I'm not making this up.

So, I suppose that the Bible says nothing about stealing, greed and corruption. There's probably nothing in there that says that we should be stewards of God's creation, to protect the precious planet Earth that God gave us in His infinite generosity and love. And, it seems that it's ok by God for a leader of a powerful nation to lie to the people he serves in order to convince them that the war he wants to wage is justified, resulting in the senseless deaths of over a thousand American soldiers who believed him, and thousands more Iraqis, both military and civilian.

When I talk to fundamentalist Christians, heck, when I talk to fundamentalist Jews, I'm often told that the Bible is all true, the absolute, indisputable word of God. Sometimes, they bring this up because I share with them that my spirituality is drawn from truths that I derive from a number of religious traditions, that there are parts of the Bible that sound like truths to me, just like there are portions of Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist literature, to mention a few, that sound like truths to me, and I choose to disregard the portions that do not. I am reminded by them at this point that I am making a HUGE mistake.

Fine.

But, aren't they being just as selective as me?