.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

R.I.P. Hunter

Tuesday, February 22, 2005



Thanks to having been blissfully separated from all news outlets from Friday evening until this morning, I'm rather late to the Hunter S. Thompson farewell party.

I can't purport to have extensive knowledge of Hunter's work, but I feel I have read enough to have appreciated what he accomplished - the chronicling of the post-modern era with uncompromising disdain for pretense and fools. It is important to note that all his attitude and eccentricity would not have amounted to anything noteworthy if it hadn't been for his considerable talent as a writer. There are many out there today who like to think of themselves as following in Hunter's footsteps, many a gonzo wannabe, especially in the age of the blog, but I know of no one who comes close to Thomspon's mastery of language and storytelling.

That there was any shock that he took his own life with a gun is amazing to me. He knew he'd had enough and I can't imagine him withering away.

Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of ''the rat race'' is not yet final.

- Hunter S. Thompson