.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

What the hell is a Super Power anyway?

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

An excellent read at The Guardian.

While I rarely avoid an opportunity to sling mud at George W. Bush and his cronies, and the focus of the Guardian article is the importance of the U.S. to recognize the burgeoning power of the European Union, I am more drawn to contemplating this concept of a Super Power.

How "super" can the U.S. be when we are in debt to the tune of $7,625,110,133,116.77? (I'll give you a hand: that's approximately $7.5 trillion.) A quick refresh of the U.S. National Debt Clock and the number has gone up to $7,625,117,185,040.39 just in the time it took me to write that one sentence.
The estimated population of the United States is 295,537,628, so each citizen's share of this debt is $25,800.83.

The National Debt has continued to increase an average of $1.88 billion per day since September 30, 2004.
I don't know about you, but for me being in debt sucks. I was once in $8,000 of credit card debt, and the juggling act I was going through transferring balances, the stalling techniques, the pushy calls from my creditors, created enough stress to burn a hole in my stomach.

Here's an idea: Make the President of the United States personally responsible for balancing the country's checkbook just like every other American has to.

There's something very disturbing about this disconnect - where millions of Americans are like I was when I was in debt, many a lot worse, and the impact on their lives is tremendous, yet the very country we live in continues to refer to itself proudly as the sole Super Power while being $7.5 trillion in the red. What a joke.