.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Doctor recommended for optimal cerebral hygiene 

Fossett lands

Thursday, March 03, 2005



As a follow-up to my post Tuesday about Steve Fossett's solo, non-stop flight around the world, he has since landed in Kansas, 66 hours after he departed from the same airstrip. He has his record.

A couple of observations have occured to me during his adventure that I feel a need to mention.

First, it bugged me a little that Fossett was always, at least once in every news article, except, ironically enough in the one I've linked to here, conspicuously referred to as a millionaire. There's something about the level of privilege that this man enjoys, allowing him to trapse around the globe seeking out more fame and fortune with daring do, that is a stark contrast to the average person who dreams of going on adventures like that but lack the freedom and resources. I don't even know how Steve Fossett became a millionaire, other than a Wiki reference stating he, "made his fortune in American financial markets", but it still bothers me, even though I know it runs contrary to the pervading American ethos.

Secondly, I couldn't help wonder if Wednesday's fuel "crisis" wasn't manufactured to add drama to an otherwise, in this day and age, uneventful event. I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of people on this planet either didn't know about the flight, or didn't know that no one had heretofore flown a solo, non-stop flight around the world.

I'm surprised by the skepticism/cynicism that rose up in me about this, especially since I was so excited about it on Tuesday. I'm not an overly cynical person. Perhaps I just need to allow myself to appreciate the simple fact that Fossett does set an example that, even in our modern times, there are extraordinary things for humans to acheive, and that they are possible.

Ah, yes. I feel better now. Must...resist...the darkside.